About Us...

Welcome to my Salon. A place for my creative friends to join in a conversation about writing, about the creative process and the creative life. We write and paint alone, but it's as part of the creative community that we find support and friendship. I originally launched my virtual cafe in support of the release of Karen Karbo's kick ass book about another kick ass woman, Julia Childs. From here on, I'll share what I know about the writing life and the experiences and musings of friends and colleagues in the Portland arts and letters community. Comments and Guest bloggers are encouraged and invited.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Dreams Come True

Sheri Nicholls

Walt Disney has been credited with saying, “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”  I have a dream that I have begun acting on—writing an historical fiction novel based on the real life events of my grandmother, Mary.

The seed was planted when a respected business colleague—after reading a press release I had prepared—said, “You should write a book; you are a good writer.”  Over the years others have made similar comments and the seed germinated.

There came a point when I knew my life would be transitioning and I asked myself, “What next, writing?”  But I did not have a journalism degree nor was my education loaded in literature or composition classes.  My business success was not realized through academic credentials however, but via my strong work ethic that lies deep in my gene pool and re-enforced by my upbringing.  I have always had a vivid imagination, love to read, am curious, and crave creativity.

I read Colleen McCullough’s book, “Morgan’s Run,” and was inspired by the riveting story she weaved from a few unique tidbits she had discovered about a relative who was sent to the first penal colonies in Australia and Norfolk Island.  Then I searched on-line for “How to Write a Novel?” and found many suggested methods.  One suggestion was a book for young writers by Walter Dean Myers titled, “Just Write: Here’s How!”  I bought Mr. Myers’ book thinking why not start simple?  I attended writers’ seminars.  I engaged a writing coach, Camille Cole.  I have begun.  Grandma Mary’s story deserves to be told well.

I know I will be rejected; I am accustomed to being turned down in business.  There will be nay-sayers; I never let negativity stop me before.  I know I will be criticized; I will learn from my errors.  I have been told many times, “It’s harder than you think.”  So it is that my admiration for the craft grows every day. 

I am grateful for positive comments about my writing practice; they invigorate me.  I have taken on the unknown before, and my thirst to learn has fueled my progress.  I will dig deep for courage; it has served me well in the past.  I agree with you Mr. Disney, for I have a dream whose time has come. 

By Sheri Nicholls--

....an emerging writer who lives in Kennewick with her Mini-Dachsund, Cooper.  For thirty five years she resided on a cattle ranch in Eastern Oregon and was the CFO of an agriculture exporting firm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input. Your comment will be posted shortly.